Thought I’d give this a whirl. I adapted the recipe from Spent Grain Recipes and Homebrew Cooking Recipes.
[Comments in brackets are mine.]
- 9 cup barley grains [had only 6 cups grains so added 2 cups oats]
- 1 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup coconut [nix]
- 1 cup raisins [also added 1 cup cranberries]
- 1 cup honey or maple syrup [used honey]
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup of flax seeds (optional) [nix]
Blend together all liquid ingredients and add to dry ingredients, until well distributed. Crumble the mixture and spread on to cookie sheet. Start baking at 350F for 15 min., then lower heat to 200F and bake (stirring occasionally) until dry. Store in covered jars. This recipe can be made in smaller quantities.
It came out decently. Got a little too cooked, dark, and burnt in flavor. Next time I’ll cook it less and let it finish drying openly.